Sunday, February 10, 2019

Warmth of Winter


.



On most of those short days in far north, I drove about 250 miles, about the same as a migrating Canadian goose.  I say short days because the sun never rose far above the horizon, and it seemed like sunrise or sunset was never long in coming.  The snow that fell on most of those overcast, usually sub-zero days, was either loose like baking flower or packed like tortillas.  When loose, it was taken up by even a slight wind into waves like little low clouds.  Sometimes driving the jeep seemed like sailing a boat through white rippled water.  And on those rare events when a car, or more likely a big rig, approached from the other direction, it billowed up a cloud of snow that obliterated all visibility for about ten seconds.  And when the snow became tortilla, it was not slippery like ice, but almost as safe to drive  
on as asphalt.









They say that once you've done the Alcan, you have bragging rights any time your friends start talking about their road trips.  But it’s not worth the bragging rights.  I performed my obligation and achieved my full desire in just getting to Fairbanks, and had plenty of pleasures along the way.  Some of you worried more about me than I had the sense to worry about myself.










You know by now that I did not return the way I went north, but drove a mostly different route to where a ferry came and whisked me and the jeep off to the lower 48.  Here in Corvallis, Oregon, I’m most of the way home now, and will arrive on Tuesday.  

This map shows in a general way the trips up and back and how different they were. 












Click on  Michael's Map  to show accurately all of the places I spent the night, except those four nights aboard the ferry.  You can zoom and pan on this map and find my exact routes in case you wish to also have bragging rights.  













I will probably do a presentation at Kathabela’s place on Friday, February 22.  Watch for further information as the time approaches.  I am also open for invitations wherever a group wants to have me.  











Thanks to all who commented, either by email or directly on the blog.  You helped me through the ice. 



Stay Warm

10 comments:

  1. It will be wonderful to have you home. That first photo in your post is absolutely sublime. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's along the Inside Passage, Ellen, taken from Columbia, an Alaskan Ferry, such a relaxing and scenic ride most of the way home.

      Delete
  2. The Highway of Snow and Ice

    Choosing your trip back
    to be on water
    was a perfect choice.

    It brought (icy) tears
    to my eyes reminiscing
    about that guy
    who walked on water.

    Except you upped it
    by doing it
    with your Jeep.
    (Who'd think of such intimacy!)

    Had He one such vehicle
    He might've done that too.

    Well, OK, let's no forget
    He had His thorns
    and cross to bear.

    I'm glad you gave your Jeep
    a well-deserved rest
    hoping it doesn't end in Heaven.

    lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I owe my faithful jeep a good long rest after what I demanded of it. For weeks, I allowed ice to cake under its fenders. I allowed ice to hang from the rear bumper and get packed onto the floorboard from my boots. All the ice has melted off now. The doors no longer squeak and crackle from ice in the hinges. And the rear window wiper is free from a block of ice that’s been caked around it, making it non-functional. The faithful jeep seems happy to be back.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad to know you're coming home soon! I'll be there on 22nd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keiko, The show on the 22nd is not certain at this point, but I will let you know. Thanks for following the blog and for your several comments.

      Delete
  4. Toti, Maybe it means you are an early riser. Good morning. I am about to leave Corvallis, for the final 900 miles home. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a wonderful
    warm armchair trip.
    My eyes barely iced up
    seeing your posted photographs.
    And in grand finale
    I honestly looked forward
    to all your posts
    that inspired me
    sometimes in quirky ways.

    Welcome back
    I bet by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, It was a pleasure having you and your quirky ways beside me on this road trip, which was quirky in itself. Sure wish the freeway god would open a way into Pasadena for you, but I know, it's a darker ride than Fairbanks. Thake care, Sharon

      Delete