Sunday, January 20, 2019

The Far North






Maybe there is only one Road, like a great river, and every path a tributary.  All places lived, men loved, things enjoyed and stolen, built and left behind, pleasures found by accident,; they all merge into this horrendously long Alaskan Highway.  I live these days on the road as though they are my last, for they very well could be. 










The road is gray with morning light, which strikes the tops of clouds, giving only what light the clouds do not absorb—gray twilight lasts a major part of the day.  














Sometimes a break from the cold, given to northern travelers by some hot furnace within the earth, melts a path of ice and snow.  Laird Hot Springs is a public place, a short hike from the highway.  There’s a stairway into the water, where you can soak as if in the tropics.  













Animals on the highway don’t understand fast cars and trucks.  These friendly bison just stood there for the camera.  












Were it not for diligence of Canadian show-plow drivers and drivers of trucks that spread sand, I could not be here.  They come plowing and spreading even when the road seems clear.  But they cannot remove snow that has been packed into hard ice; this remains for me to decide whether it is sanded and relatively safe, or maybe black ice.  









I took two days off in Whitehorse, a respite from the tension of driving to a goal, and transmuted myself into a tourist. The Dirty Northern is an excellent pub and restaurant, though you’d never suspect it from the sidewalk.  And the Miner’s Daughter boarding house next might be a good, long-term residence.   









The Yukon River runs alongside Whitehorse, some of it with visible flowing water, and some covered with snow.  










They’ve built a fancy condo by the river, called River’s Reach, with views of the River and the mountains beyond.  The project must be a success, because beside it, River’s Reach II is going up.  These workers seem quite happy to build it in windy air well below zero. 











On this hill in the city park, sledders enjoy a Saturday afternoon, and skaters cruise along the flooded and groomed pathway.  










I have driven into a world of discovery.  Not the glamour I had thought it would be—skiing in the woods, snowy ventures into the realm of moose and elk.  I predicted my daily schedule on the long drive—daylight for the work of driving, the long dark hours for whatever attracts me and weather permits.  I have had to change my expectations.





Michael Angerman is keeping a map showing all the places where I spend the night on this long drive.  Please view his map at:     Michael's Map  You can pan zoom to see more detail or more area as you choose. 


13 comments:

  1. A stairway into the water... sometimes a break from the cold... a hot furnace within the earth
    What about that? How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the earth opening its real warmth, despite its cold surface. Thanks, Toti

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon, I hope you get this. I've written a couple of times but don't see my entries.Trying again. It's beautiful how you describe what you see. The white, cold, far off world. We certainly are not the center of everything. Soon, I will leave on my own to Sedona. The red, dry world is there. Elsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsa, This is the first comment from you that I've seen. Enjoy your red, dry world, as I am learning to enjoy my cold one.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Sharon, your experience is unique and mysterious into the cold, grey North with it's luminous and stark beauty. There is a sense of a lone, brave woman on a solitary journey, but also a sense of deep connectedness, spiritual, other world even in your description of your experience. Are the people in this landscape different from people here? I wonder what motivates a person to live there, and keep them there. Everyone looks content and as you point out, able to adapt to the climate and landscape. As you are. Tell Mike, thank you for the map. Thank you, Sharon for sharing your experience so candidly with all of us. It makes it real, your insightful explanations and photographs as I witness your many miles traveled and faraway places that before I could only touch on a map with my finger. Much love, safety and blessings to you, dearest Sharon. Kathy Leonard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People seem of two kinds in Whitehorse--good people who have jobs and own businesses, and the other kind, who seem on drugs or drunk. A few travelers, truck drivers and tourists like me, but mostly locals.

      Delete
  4. Dedicated to Sharon...

    Hot Furnace

    I enjoyed very much
    your foreplay
    with the Jeep.

    As whimsy
    as a woman
    in full maturity

    of her sexuality.
    I mean the duration
    and progressive steps

    to warm her engine
    are stupefying.
    Is your Jeep named?

    If not may I suggest
    to use Toti's feedback
    "Hot Furnace"

    would be more than
    suitable
    ... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny, Alex. Maybe I should name the jeep "Home" It's where I spend most of my time.

      Delete
  5. Dear Sharon beautiful photos and strong experiences... love the bison, the hot pool, and the tiny tree amidst all --like an innocent. I think it is you. I think Deb mentioned Kathy Munro who lives in Whitehorse. A very good poet and she has spent a lot of time inspiring the haiku world this winter... I am beginning to understand her environment, thanks to you. No wonder her winter preoccupations are so creative and sent out weekly to inspire others. I noticed she posted this a couple years ah=go... have not searched out the most current but --it shows a poetry/writers/arts community there... https://whatsupyukon.com/Yukon-Arts-Entertainment/literature/write-through-the-winter/

    But I know you are just passing through and you are on a quest. Today I had just time to walk to Pacific Asia and found Tibetan monks vacationing in Pasadena ?) creating the beginnings of a beautiful colored sand mandala --they will destroy by Saturday...
    all of us find ways to make metaphors for our ephemeral lives....

    icicles
    dripping by the hot pool
    her new idea

    Thinking of you all the way on your journey, sending love and patience as you must especially need with all this travel!
    Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathabela, I learned of Kathy Munro too late. It would have been nice.

      Delete
  6. Sharon, A visit with you and the others who visit you is comforting as I read from Kathabella and Kathy Leonard in particular.

    Inspirational, conversational,quite sensational friendships have sprung from a peculiar place of poetic embrace where one can choose to be unusually inspired, creatively attired, most often fired up on things that matter and some that to others matter not at all.

    The idea of heat in the ground comforts those of us who know that you are out there ~ in the C*O*L*D ... we call it B~A~L~A~N~C~E

    Love to you from Junnie, sitting in her cold studio, knowing you would be warmed within these walls by what I call 'chilly' ~ keep WARM!




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junnie, Can you build a fire? Nothing warms like a fire on a cold evening. Here in Fairbanks we don't heat with wood, rather baseboard heat of some obscure source. It's around zero tonight, a dry cold that doesn't chill the bones unless the wind blows. My niece, Lynno, went out into the snow in bare feet, not showing any pain. And me, yes, the cold does not seem so cold anymore

      Delete
    2. I have a fireplace but yet to have it readied for use. T'would surely be cozy.

      Delete